From the moment the Baton leaves the hands of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on March 13 and departs the gates of Buckingham Palace, the 230,000km journey to Australia will begin.
Through 70 nations and territories over 388 days the Baton will gently build the Games spirit before beginning its 100-day journey through Australia on December 25, 2017.
3,800 baton bearers will be called upon to visit each state and territory in Australia.
The Baton will bear the Queen’s personal message, read aloud to the Commonwealth people and athletes at the Opening Ceremony of the XXI Commonwealth Games on 4 April 2018.
From the youth to the elderly, GC2018 is calling on people to nominate the local legends in their community, anyone aged 10 years and up, whether they’re already accomplished or aspiring to.
The opportunity to be involved in the largest Australian sporting event in a decade is a once-in-a-life-time scenario.
From 5 March 2017 until 20 May 2017 nominators can visit HERE and write 100 words about why the person inspires them
GC2018 are looking for people who:
- Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture charity or within their community; or
- Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
- Are an Australian citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017– 4 April 2018).