Commonwealth Games Australia has been declared by the Federal Minister for Social Services to be a participant in the National Redress Scheme.
Commonwealth Games Australia officially commenced participation in the Scheme on May 6 2021, with public notification by the Federal Minister for Families and Social Services Anne Rushton released last week.
Commonwealth Games Australia was one of 32 new organisations joining the Scheme, including the Australian Football League and a number of other national, state and local sporting organisations and clubs and joins the Australian Olympic Committee and Paralympics Australia as participants.
Chief Executive Officer Craig Phillips AM said it was important for Commonwealth Games Australia to participate in the Scheme.
“The National Redress Scheme is an important avenue of acknowledgement and support for those who have been victims of abuse,” Mr Phillips said.
The National Redress Scheme provides support to people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse.
- acknowledges that many children were sexually abused in Australian institutions
- holds institutions accountable for this abuse, and
- helps people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse gain access to counselling, a direct personal response, and a Redress payment.
The Scheme started on 1 July 2018 and will run for 10 years.
For further information, please visit: http://www.nationalredress.gov.au